The famous architect Jože Plečnik (1872-1957) tried to model Ljubljana on ancient Athens. The multitude of his creations in the city, referred to as a whole as “Plečnik’s Ljubljana”, is considered to be one of the 20th century’s most important total works of art.
Plečnik house (walking distance from Urban hotel 17 minutes): get to know the life and work of the famous architect Jože Plečnik, who left an indelible mark on the cityscape of Ljubljana. At Plečnik House you can see the architect’s home exactly as it was in his lifetime and view a permanent exhibition showcasing his work.
Ljubljanica river barrier (walking distance from Urban hotel 20 minutes): the length of the Ljubljanica river embankments landscaped by the architect Jože Plečnik extends all the way to the Ljubljanica River Barrier, located by the Cukrarna building, where Plečnik envisaged a monumental triumphal arch in order to symbolically mark the point where the river leaves the city. Plečnik’s original designs of the early 1930s were later considerably revised and the Barrier was only built between 1939 and 1944.
Church of St. Francis (walking distance from Urban hotel 5 minutes): Jože Plečnik’s unconventional design for the Church of St. Francis (Cerkev sv. Frančiška), constructed between 1925 and 1927, is derived from his plans for the Church of the Sacred Heart in Prague, built in 1922. The central part of the church is covered with a gently sloping roof topped with a belfry added in 1931. The belfry has a distinctive shape dominated by two rows of pillars in its upper two storeys and a conic roof sloping up steeply.
Churc of St. Michael (distance from Urban hotel 7 km): built between 1937 and 1940 at Ljubljana Marshes, belongs among the architect Jože Plečnik’s most original creations. It combines the features of Greek temples with those of the churches of the Slovenian Kras region, which are characterised by open belfries as part of their front façades.
Trnovo bridge (walking distance from Urban hotel 16 minutes): built between 1929 and 1932, was at the heart of Jože Plečnik’s project of the Gradaščica channel embankments’ reconstruction. It was designed with respect to the features of the Trnovo Church (Trnovska cerkev) across the way from it: the Bridge forms an extension to the church square and the pyramids adorning it imitate the shape of the Church’s spires.